I don’t want to get into the habit of commenting on news events, but this video from LeVar Burton, via the Reading Rainbow Email, has some good advice about how to talk to your kids about things in the news that might be scary.
The advice on talking to your kids about tragedy is surprisingly simple
- Talk about it as a family
- Talk with your kids in “simple, age-apropriate discussions.”
- Let them know that this is a grown up problem that adults, not kids, need to worry about.
- Let them know that they are safe
- Let them know that the person responsible has been caught.
- Return to the normal routine of life.
My son is too young for this to affect him, plus, we don’t watch TV in our house. How do you talk to your kids about this kind of thing?